Skin care is one of the most important daily activities for both Men & Women.
As compared to women, the skin of men is thicker and firm due to more collagen and elastin. That`s why, Unlike Women, the common signs of ageing start to appear much later in Men.
Luckily for Men, there is no need for peels or multiple of creams, its pretty easy. All you need is premium quality and natural products to let your skin thank you`
Here, at Natures Island, we will help you to get started on your way forward to healthy and smoother skin, by letting you understand why skincare is equally important for men and how to choose the right product for your skin type. Let’s get started –
Generally, Mentends to ignore that men’s skin is also prone to pollution and UV rays, more, as most of them do not use sunscreen to protect their skin. This causes tanning and dullness on face. However, there the trend is changing with time More and more men are now inclined towards taking collagen peptides as one solution for skin hair nails and joints.
The gender difference
As men age, testosterone levels increase to an extent that it provides a pimple free skin during their youth. As compared to women, men’s skin is 25% thicker and only thins with time and ageing. Men are naturally blessed with the capability to produce more lactic acid while sweating. Lactic acid acts as a natural moisture preserver; hence men who are any kind of physical activity daily, have better and shiny skin.
Skin Problems in Men
Razor Bumps is another major problem faced by men with oily skin, as they have high chances of beard acne. Hidden under the beard it may or may not show until after shave. But, this acne can make shaving or beard maintenance more complicated as the chances of cut by razor becomes high. Melanoma is another serious problem faced by men. Even though it’s not that common a disease, still men are twice as likely to develop melanoma as compared to women.
Understanding Skin Types – Normal/Dry /Oily
Skin is of three types – Normal, Dry and Oily. Combination skin is common in men, which is easy to take care of; but few have rather oily skin, which is a little difficult to manage than a drier or normal skin. Healthy skin looks even&supple, whereas an oily skin appears greasy, especially on forehead, nose and chin. The main culprit is the oil gland producing excess sebum.
Men with oily skin are more likely to face issues like acne, pimples and blackheads etc.
Your Skin Care Regimen
Skin care regimen starts with knowing your skin and choosing the products that are right for you,
Knowing your skin type: Take a tissue test and see if you have dry, oily or combination skin. Men with oily skin tend to have oil on their forehead, nose, and chin (combined known as t zone). Simply use a tissue to know whether your skin type.
Choosing the right products as per skin type:
Here’s the lowdown on a few of the most common products:
- Cleansers. Soap and water are fine for most skin types, but men with oily skin should consider using an astringent. Cleanser dissolves away excess oil and grime from your face. These are mainly oil-soluble impurities. These impurities can be cleared by a face wash too, but that might not be 100% effective.
- Razors. Do not use someone else’s razor, a small cut can put you at risk for infection. Shaving with a dull blade increases chances of nicks, skin irritation, razor burn and bumps. Razors with multiple blades are best for a close shave.
- Aftershave. In many men, heavy alcohol-based aftershaves can dry out the skin. Considering an aftershave balm that includes a disinfectant and moisturizer is ideal for preventing blackheads or ingrown hair.
- Antioxidants. When our skin is depleted of antioxidants, it may lead to acne forming. Free radicals damage healthy cells in our bodies. Antioxidants help in destroying free radicals. Without enough antioxidants, our sebum is damaged and it leads to clogged pores and more acne. Antioxidants include vitamin A, C, E, zinc and green tea etc.
- Collagen Supplements. Collagen is a scientifically proven dietary supplement when it comes to skincare for both men & women. There are many collagen supplements available in the market, but it`s better to go with marine hydrolyzed collagen (because of its small molecular size and high absorption). Collagen works for all skin types. Only one scoop of collagen daily can help you with your skin hair nails and even joints.